We have been painting fast and loose, here you can see Pam's painting of a teapot. By using large brushes and starting with a drawing in paint we used a limited palette of Ultramarine and White to focus on tone. Our teapots took approx. an hour and were a great start to the new term.
Tips for painting loose:
- Ask yourself what brush you need, then use the next size up!
- Make use of a long brush handle by holding it further back.
- Don't hold your brush like a pen, grip over the top.
- Stand up whilst painting and stand back every now and again to look; it helps you to see.
- Squint, also helps with tonal value.
- Try limiting your brushstrokes, load plenty of paint and keep the brush on paper until used up (count as one stroke).
- Once you paint a stroke leave it and...
- Have fun!
This will all add up to a more painterly approach.
Here is a video of a painting using some of these techniques, enjoy...